Saturday, January 5, 2013

On Becoming a Woman: What Does That Mean?


I have been thinking about writing this post for a long time. That means that I will write something that is very long and still not say what I meant to say.

What does it mean to be a woman?

I mean, we seem to know as a society what it means to "be a man," even if we disagree about some aspects of the definition. Little boys hear about how to be a man from the time they are babies, and what we often don't realize is that little girls hear that too. And when we collectively discuss "being a man," we mean so many things:

Being strong, responsible, secure, determined, aggressive, stoic, smart, handy.

Now the more enlightened among us might say, whoa! That's not what being a man is about! Men could be those things, but they could also be sensitive, kind, goofy, contemplative, etc.

OK, maybe that's a step up. But my point is this: Being a man MEANS something.

Growing up, I would internalize these messages, and I remember thinking, but I will never be a man. So what will it take for me to grow up? What does it mean to be a woman?

I felt like I knew a lot of men, and that a lot of them were actually...women.

They were grownups. Adults. People who took care of themselves and anyone else who came along. People I trusted, looked up to, admired. But the only thing I ever heard SPOKEN about what it meant to "become a woman" seemed totally ridiculous to me: Getting your first period made you a woman.

Nope, impossible. I got mine at age 11.

Having babies made you a woman.

But how could that be? A lot of women couldn't have babies or didn't want to have them.

All of the things that "made you a woman" were physical things or things that happened to you, not things you did, things you made, things you decided.

I could get into a long tirade about misogyny, down to the kind of deep and disturbing misogyny that is involved in our ingrained rape culture. But that line of conversation will make me too depressed. What concerns me, now that I have both a girl and a boy to raise, is how we are so casually misogynist, ALL OF US, and how we don't even realize it. And because we don't recognize it, we don't admit how it effects our children. We use misogynist language as if it is NORMAL language. I do it too:

Man Up. Take it like a Man.


And then, little boys at such a young age learn to say things like "Ew, I don't want to do that. THAT'S FOR GIRLS." And you can practically hear them retching from the very thought. What bothers me about statements like that, or things like "you throw like a girl," "stop crying like a little girl," and even the concept of "girl power" is this:

When people say these things, they are speaking of something that is inherently less. Little girls might say they don't like something because "that's for boys," but you don't get the implied disdain with that statement. They are saying I'm a girl, and therefore I'm not interested in that. We might take issue with those thoughts. But when I hear boys saying "that's for girls," even my own son, who just learned that idea maybe in the last month or two, these boys are implying that being a girl isn't as good as being a boy. They know at three years old what we pretend isn't true at 30.



I feel like I am somewhat of an authority on this topic, and here's why:

When I was very little, I was just a little ball of crazy. I wore my brother's clothes and had my hair cut in the same style as him because my parents were broke and lazy about style. Then, I was still a little ball of crazy, with the affectionate nickname "little shit," but I wore patent leather shoes and dresses all the time (bought for me by my grandfather). Then, I became a tomboy--a really serious tomboy, for several years. I cut my hair very short. I wore the same two pairs of sweatpants with holes in the knees every day. One day in sixth grade, my best friend took me to her house before school, lent me a skirt and put some makeup on me and put a ridiculous bow in my hair and I went to school like that, literally as a joke. Some boy told me I looked pretty and I chased him around the classroom trying to get in a fight. It wasn't long after that that I told my mom I didn't want to be a girl. She asked me if I didn't like who I was and I said I did, but that I didn't want to have to do girl things. I told her I wanted to wear a suit to the prom. I told her I wanted to change my name to Keith.

She took everything but the name change in stride, telling me that was all fine, but I should keep my name, because it was the name she gave me and I should honor it.

You might hear this story and think it's funny, or quaint. I will ignore the reality that a boy wishing to be a girl would not be seen in the same light. I will also ignore the fact that it is easier, in some ways, for little girls to try on all different types of gender roles, because the gender that is opposite of them is the preferred one. Being a tomboy is cool. It's funny. It's quirky. Being a girl who acts like a boy is, you know, BETTER. Boys don't get the same message about acting like girls.

What concerns me about those phases I went through is this. What, exactly, was I rejecting? I never, not for one minute, ACTUALLY wished I was a boy. I was comfortable in my body and my own skin. I was very straight, and knew that even then. I just didn't want to have to ACT like a girl, whatever that meant. I had this vague feeling of unease about being female in the world. I wanted to be the one in charge, the crazy one, the independent one, and somewhere along the way I learned that girls could not be that.

I wanted some practical things. Back in my boy phase, I did things that are in some ways the essence of what it means to be a guy. And no, I'm not talking about playing sports or laughing too loud, though I did those things too.

I took up space.

I sprawled around, took up room, threw my clothes (what I had of them) around the house. To this day, I will be the lone female who chooses to sit next to the adolescent boy who is all sprawled out over two seats on the train. I have actually on a few occasions sat right on one of these kids' legs, just to make the point that he didn't pay for two seats so he'd better move the hell over. They are always so surprised that they just sheepishly say "sorry, my bad," or something to that effect. I still feel that one of the great mysteries of marriage is why, when we have a king sized bed, I am forced to fall asleep with Gabe's knee on my ass.

I was small, but I didn't want to have to ACT small. I was pretty, but I didn't want to be TREATED pretty. What's sad to me today is that there should be nothing in the world wrong with being small and pretty. What's funny to me today is that at 11 years old I envisioned a world where a straight 17 year old boy wouldn't mind going to the prom with a girl in a suit.

We shouldn't try to convince ourselves that everyone should be strong because strong is better, or that everyone should be tough because tough is better. But we also shouldn't tell ourselves that girls who are strong and tough aren't girly or that boys who aren't aren't real boys.

I grew out of my boy phase into whatever phase I have been in since about age 14, hovering somewhere in between, choosing boys and later men who could accept my backwards ways and even appreciate them. I have gotten used to guys initially liking my "feisty" ways and then realizing that I am not actually feisty, I am opinionated and stubborn and terrible at backing down, and losing their interest for that reason. I have chosen a man who is sensitive and nurturing because I am not, and I feel that those are useful traits.

And I still feel somewhat gender-confused, somewhat adrift. I often don't fit in to groups of women or groups of men. I told a friend last night that I am 37 years old, and I still don't know what women talk about when they go in groups to the bathroom. I have never gone to a bathroom with another person, not even in high school. And I envy the girl-power of the close-knit groups of women I see who know something about being a woman that I just don't know, because I never learned it.

I mean, you can't know what you don't even know you don't know.

I never knew that I communicate like a man until I took this "Efficacy for Women" development course at work a few years ago, which was supposed to be empowering, and I learned that for all intents and purposes I speak and act like a man, which is supposedly preferred in the workforce, but has never gotten me anywhere, to be honest. I was what, 35 years old? And finally learning why I didn't know--really, I didn't--why other women or girls had been mad at me in my life. Realizing that even when I understood, I didn't. Oh, you were mad at me because I said something that hurt your feelings? But why would that hurt your feelings? I don't understand why people get sensitive, or cry, or feel hurt in some situations, and therefore I am a woman acting like a man, supposedly, but I am NOT a man, so no one forgives me for it. And believe you me I have ALWAYS been treated as a woman at work. I've never been invited into the boys club.

I'm not complaining; it's just odd. I am as curious about women as most men are. I see how they flirt, or toss their hair, or laugh, and I wonder why I can't do those things. I see mothers talking to babies in lilting voices and I feel like there's something wrong with me as I talk to my children and everyone else's as if they are just very small versions of adults. I have a hard time inserting myself into groups of women because I'm not sure what to say, what to talk about, and I am not saying that to say that I am somehow better than other women. I am truly envious of those things I never internalized. Because men don't think I'm one of the guys either, so sometimes I feel just adrift. Gabe has this problem too. He can have trouble being around guys, because he doesn't like hoppy beer or talking about rock bands or fishing or chicks, and yet he feels weird being the only guy chatting up the women. I always tell him that the guys we know can talk about a lot of different things, but I know where he's coming from--he never learned the cues, and he doesn't know how to use them. I get it.

This friend I was talking to last night told me that she has always seen me as very feminine...just not girly. She said I look feminine, I dress feminine, and I agreed. I said this: "I guess in some ways that made it easier. I looked like a girl, and guys liked me, so I never had to learn to act like someone else."



And that's the truth. I could give people shit and make fun of them, just like I did with my older brother, and they would decide I was flirting because that's what they wanted to believe. Inside I would think, no, I am actually making fun of you. REALLY, I AM. But it didn't matter. When I was 14 years old and some friends dragged me out of the house one Friday night, looking chagrined when they saw me with no makeup on, hair in a ponytail, jeans and knee high black leather boots and a Rolling Stones tshirt with the huge tongue on the front (sounds cool, huh? Well, not for a girl in 1990, NO SIR), I learned something. That cute boy everyone liked asked me out anyway. And I literally said to myself, at age 14, "Really? This is good enough? Well, I guess there's no need to ever play myself out."

The lesson was worth learning, but the message is still odd. That same boy broke up with me because he "didn't like my personality." Specifically, he told me that I didn't take him seriously enough and I was always cracking too many jokes. I guess I was supposed to be sweating him all the time, feeling his biceps or something, but I didn't know that, so I didn't do it, and he was telling me that there was some massive disconnect between my appearance and my behavior, and I assumed that was true.

I don't know. I feel like I am feminine because I am female. I feel like my husband is masculine because he is male. And maybe, for some people, it's the other way around.

When I had my head shaved for chemo, after the tears had subsided, I took a good hard look at myself in the mirror and told Gabe that I thought I looked like a boy. Like a male twin of myself. He sounded exasperated and told me I looked beautiful, that I couldn't look like a boy if I tried. And whether that was true or not, let's not lie: He was required to say that in that situation. Breast cancer can make you question the entire nature of femininity whether or not you were so inclined to question it. But the point is this: I did look feminine. Because I looked like myself. And I am female. That look in my eyes is all me, for better or worse.


I just don't want to raise kids who believe what I believed as a child, that being a man was worth more, that the things men were and did were more important. My mother didn't teach me that, so I think it's a societal thing, not a personal one. She never wore makeup and had little to no clothes and wore glasses and did most of the manual labor and I never saw her gossiping with other women or having coffee with them or whatever and I never, not for one second, thought she wasn't the most feminine person in the world. Because she was female and she was my main role model for what it meant to be a grownup who could never be a man.

I think we need to rid ourselves of the notion that there are things and traits that are male or female, not because it is untrue, but because we have not evolved to the point where all of the things that are "feminine" are lesser. I remember being in a Women Romantics class in college, and reading the poetry of the few female authors of the Romantic age. Other students thought their poetry was pedestrian, boring. I argued that they wrote about their lives, and their lives were different from the lives of men. So, they were writing about marriage and children, and Keats was writing about becoming one with fire. Perhaps that was because him mom did his laundry for him. Perhaps he was the one who wasn't fully grown.

A few days ago, Augie had a horrible cut on his finger. We have 57 different types of kid bandaids, and I asked him what he wanted. He said "well, I like Cars and Muppets and Lenny likes Dora and Disney Princesses." The kid was crying so hard I didn't get into it at the time, so I asked him about it today when I was checking to make sure the wound had healed.

I asked him why he had said that about the bandaids. I said, you love Dora. You love Snow White. Lenny doesn't really like princesses. You have never seen the Cars movie. You both like muppets. Did you think you should like those because you're a boy and she's a girl? And he said yes. So I asked him this:

But what's wrong with that? What's wrong with being a girl? Can't you think of any girls whom you would like to be like?

He immediately said, "Lenny."

I was proud of him. As he tumbled headfirst onto my lap by vaulting himself over the arm of the couch and proceeded to threaten to bite me all while wrestling me, I asked him this: "Can't you think of any other girls you'd like to be like," teasing him, baiting him, showing him that Katy kind of love. He said no, and laughed. I asked what about me? And he said:

No. You're a boy.


I was stunned, but played it off. I'm not a boy! What am I?

He was cracking up: "You're a boy. Mommy, you're a boy."

I tried to get serious, and looked at him: Augie, really. What am I? Am I really a boy?

No.

Am I a girl?

No.

Well what am I then?

You're a grown up.


And SHH, don't tell anyone, but I turned my head away and cried. But just a little.

11 comments:

  1. Oh. That last part made me sniff a bit, too.

    I don't want to raise my children to think that "feminine" (ie more sensitive) traits are strictly female or less. Nor do I want them to think that enjoying the traditionally male traits makes my daughter into a boy or my boys more manly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... maybe I should worry that about a week ago Augie comes up, looking quite proud of himself, and tells me, "Daddy, you a girl."

    I asked him, "What about Lenny?"

    "She's a girl."

    "What about Mommy?" Continuing my interview.

    "She's a boy." Now he cracks a sly grin because he knows he's playing me...

    When I was little I liked the absolutes of things, right from wrong, truth and lie, no shades of grey, and the easy understanding that comes of absolutes. The idea of the transsexual confused me... but now that I'm older and wiser I get how the spectrum of gender identity makes sense, and how our society would be healthier if it could embrace the richness that rainbow represents over the sparse, barren and drab old school literal mentality of male and female.

    And yet, at the same time, there is a spectre of discrimination subtly played out that is so pervasive, I'll just hang this one question to exemplify it: Everyone over the age of 12 knows the word misogynist means, but who can cite it's opposite counterpart without looking it up?

    This gender elevation issue needs to be recast not as boys vs girls but ultimately by a bit of wisdom perceived correctly by a three and a half year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am genuinely baffled by any indication that your choice of title reference could be seen as racist or bigoted in any way/shape/form, as Sojourner's original speech was explicitly challenging society's construct of "woman" versus "man."

    The issue may be that most folks don't know that the most popularly known version of the speech was not actually given by Truth, but was largely fabricated, both in content & circumstances, by a white, female author who had a very specific agenda to promote.

    "Her speech was delivered at the Women's Convention in Akron, Ohio, on May 29, 1851, and was not originally known by any title. It was briefly reported in two contemporary newspapers, and a transcript of the speech was published in the Anti-Slavery Bugle on June 21, 1853.

    The speech received wider publicity in 1863 during the American Civil War when Frances Dana Barker Gage published a different version, one which became known as Ain't I a Woman? because of its oft-repeated question. This later version was the one recorded in most history books."

    In particular, I found this bit of information to be VERY enlightening:

    "Twelve years later in May 1863, Frances Dana Barker Gage published a very different version.

    In it, she gave Truth many of the speech characteristics of Southern slaves, and she inserted new material that Robinson didn't report. Gage's version of the speech was republished in 1875, 1881 and 1889, and became the historic standard.

    This version is known as "Ain't I a Woman?" after the oft-repeated refrain added by Gage. Truth's own speech pattern was not Southern in nature, as she was born and raised in New York, and spoke only Dutch until she was nine years old."

    (emphasis, my own, not part of original source material)

    Quoted from: Wiki "Ain't I a Woman?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the same source:

    First recorded version

    Marius Robinson, who attended the convention and worked with Truth, recorded his version of the speech in the June 21, 1851, issue of the Anti-Slavery Bugle.[7]

    One of the most unique and interesting speeches of the convention was made by Sojourner Truth, an emancipated slave. It is impossible to transfer it to paper, or convey any adequate idea of the effect it produced upon the audience. Those only can appreciate it who saw her powerful form, her whole-souled, earnest gesture, and listened to her strong and truthful tones. She came forward to the platform and addressing the President said with great simplicity: "May I say a few words?" Receiving an affirmative answer, she proceeded:

    "I want to say a few words about this matter. I am a woman's rights. I have as much muscle as any man, and can do as much work as any man. I have plowed and reaped and husked and chopped and mowed, and can any man do more than that? I have heard much about the sexes being equal. I can carry as much as any man, and can eat as much too, if I can get it. I am as strong as any man that is now. As for intellect, all I can say is, if a woman have a pint, and a man a quart – why can't she have her little pint full? You need not be afraid to give us our rights for fear we will take too much, – for we can't take more than our pint'll hold. The poor men seems to be all in confusion, and don't know what to do. Why children, if you have woman's rights, give it to her and you will feel better. You will have your own rights, and they won't be so much trouble. I can't read, but I can hear. I have heard the bible and have learned that Eve caused man to sin. Well, if woman upset the world, do give her a chance to set it right side up again. The Lady has spoken about Jesus, how he never spurned woman from him, and she was right. When Lazarus died, Mary and Martha came to him with faith and love and besought him to raise their brother. And Jesus wept and Lazarus came forth. And how came Jesus into the world? Through God who created him and the woman who bore him. Man, where was your part? But the women are coming up blessed be God and a few of the men are coming up with them. But man is in a tight place, the poor slave is on him, woman is coming on him, he is surely between a hawk and a buzzard."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her closing statement, that "man is in a tight place... he is surely between a hawk and a buzzard" - referring to those who have lived up until this point in a state of Entitlement - clearly indicates that her motivation was to provide compassionate illumination, not an attack or act of aggressive assertion of Right.

    The framing of her argument in addressing all the previously put forth justifications for maintaining the status quo conveys that she truly understood the issues that men of that time/place were struggling with, both from a social and religious perspective, and by providing simple and effective arguments that directly addressed each of their objections, she might enable them to begin to accept a new way of seeing that didn't automatically make them react from a defensive posture to what they could easily perceived to be a mortal threat to their own conception/understanding of what it meant for them to be "men."

    In addition, she also points out that not all men were struggling with this issue of women's rights, as she references the fact that "the women are coming up... and a few of the men are coming up with them."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said, "I wanted to be the one in charge, the crazy one, the independent one, and somewhere along the way I learned that girls could not be that."

    I could not disagree more.

    It is truly said, "You can be anything you want to be." You. Now whether other people will accept who and what you are is another story - but you CAN be anything you want to be.

    Other than that - I see and understand most of what you have said and felt. I,too, have felt a little "outside" of things - I actually feel more comfortable talking with a group of women than a group of men.

    That said, I wish to say that I have been privileged enough to have met you and your family, that I have come to know and admire you a great deal. You are, in my mind, a woman - a real woman. I'm sorry that you have no real, close, female friends that you can relate to on a really 'intimate' basis - and there's a reason for that sorrow. Friends - real friends, close friends - offer a service that no one else can. As I wrote in a poem a very long time ago: A friend is a mirror, to see yourself as others do.

    If you COULD see yourself as we do - those of us around you - perhaps then you might realize that you ARE all those things you always hoped you would be - that those of us around you admire you for who and what you are - the Person, the Mother, the Wife. And you ain't got nuthin' to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but I do have those female friends! I definitely do. I just don't always know how to behave in GROUPS of women; I feel like there was a How To Be a Girl class at one point and I was absent that day. To be fair, I don't, ironically, have identity issues. I DID, but I am really far from that place and have been for a long time. Now I just figure you get what you see--bald, off-base, smack-talking, what have you. And more than enough people have been OK with that.

      Delete
  7. My response will not be as eloquent as others, but here goes, in numbered engineering fashion:

    1) To me, being a “real women” means being true to yourself, in whatever form that takes. I don’t like wearing skirts, so I don’t. Most men I know don’t wear makeup or dye their hair, why should I? My husband didn’t change his name after marriage, do you see me doing it? Math, science, and engineering? Yes, please. Leadership role? Bring it on – check that salary. Mouth off to people who threaten my values, my self-worth, or my loved ones? You better believe it (sadly this has included more than one science/engineering teacher/professor along the way; though math teachers all showed respect. Go math!). But each form of personal expression is different for each woman, and being a real women means choosing that for yourself and celebrating the different forms that our friends choose (like makeup or heals or buzz cuts or whatever).

    2) To me, being a “tough woman” means taking all the flack, and sometimes ostracization and loneliness that comes with the above. I don’t really do well in large groups of women either, Kate. (I mean, thank God for you or I might not have had any good friends growing up.) But I’ll take quality over quantity any day.

    3) Random disclaimer for anyone reading this who doesn’t know me: I’ve had a little more physical motivation than some to stray from the dainty female stereotype because I’m 5’9” and built like a truck.

    4) Yes, in society’s eyes, we are still “less.” While we make up 50 percent of the population, we are a minority. We are. Still. We have a lot of battle left to fight (note: I think what I typically refer to as “battle” is what you refer to as “getting up and having your day”, but we’re talking about the same thing), but we just need to keep pushing, writing, voting, talking, teaching… and sometimes just rolling our eyes. Through this, we are not only making more room for ourselves in the world, we are paving the way for future generations of females who will push the boundaries even further, until one day there will be balance. There will. Someday.

    5) While I cannot speak directly for the men in my life, it is my second-hand observation that as we women gain footing and freedom, so do the men around us. The men I know who celebrate powerful women seem to also achieving support for their own measure of sensitivity, paternal roles, non-career-oriented goals, etc. As Ms. Truth said, “The poor men seems to be all in confusion, and don't know what to do. Why children, if you have woman's rights, give it to her and you will feel better. You will have your own rights, and they won't be so much trouble.”

    6) Misogynistic language is one of my most serious pet peeves. I don’t tell people to “man-up” I tell them to “grow-up.” I don’t tell people to “grow a pair” I tell them to “grow a spine.” I don’t use the B-word, because women can be assholes, too. I challenge my kid when she assigns her stuffed animals a male gender by default. I don't even like addressing a group of women as "Ladies" unless they are VERY good friends and it is a VERY casual setting. We're not ladies, we're women, people. Gentlemen have respect, ladies are subservient.

    7) I love that you quoted Truth’s/Gage’s title in yours. I think it is very fitting to your intent, sincerity, and respect for the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there's some correlation between us spending so much time together as kids and both of us missing out on the How to be a Girl class? I mean, who would've thought I'd be the skirt-wearer out of the two of us? Also, I agree that the men around us who care about us gain something through our REAL empowerment. I don't remember your feelings on the movie, but here's another example from our childhood. Remember how we girls watched Thelma and Louise and it was supposed to be so empowering? I couldn't relate, for so many reasons. One of them was that, you know...they died. And that wasn't the kind of goal I had for myself.

      Delete